Python is a general purpose interpreted, interactive, object-oriented and high-level programming language. It was created by Guido van Rossum during 1985- 1990. Like Perl, Python source code is also available under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
Why to learn Python?
Python is a high-level, interpreted, interactive and object-oriented scripting language. Python is designed to be highly readable. It uses English keywords frequently whereas other languages use punctuation and it has fewer syntactical constructions than other languages.
Python is a mostly used by software professionals for web development domains. Here is the list of the key advantages of learning Python:
- Python is a Beginner’s Language − Python is a great programming language for the beginner level programmers and supports the development of a wide range of applications from simple text processing to game level programming.
- Python is Interpreted − Python is processed at runtime by the interpreter. We do not need to compile our program before executing it which is same like PERL and PHP.
- Python is Interactive − We can use a Python prompt and interact with the interpreter directly to write our programs.
- Python is Object-Oriented − Python supports Object-Oriented style which follows advanced programming standards.
Characteristics of Python:
Following are important characteristics of Python Programming −
- It can be used as a scripting language or can be compiled to byte-code for building large applications.
- It supports functional and structured programming methods and OOP.
- It can be easily integrated with C, C++, COM, ActiveX, CORBA, and Java.
- It supports automatic garbage collection.
- It provides high-level dynamic data types and supports dynamic type checking.
Print simple text using Python:
print ("Hello World To Python!");
Applications of Python
Python is one of the most widely used language all over the web. Here is the list of few of the applications:
- Easy-to-learn: Python has few keywords, simple structure and a clearly defined syntax which is very easy to learn for any programmer.
- Wide standard library: Python’s bulk of the library is very portable and cross-platform compatible on Windows, UNIX and Macintosh.
- Easy-to-maintain: Python’s source code is fairly easy-to-maintain.
- Interactive Mode: Python has the support for an interactive mode which allows interactive testing and debugging of code.
- GUI Programming – Python supports GUI applications that can be created and ported to many system calls, libraries and windows systems, such as Windows MFC, Macintosh and the X Window system of Unix.
- Extendable − We can add low-level modules to the Python interpreter. These modules enable programmers to add or customize their tools to be more efficient.
- Portable − Python can run on a wide variety of hardware platforms and has the same interface on all of the platforms.
- Databases − Python provides interfaces to all major commercial databases.
- Scalable − Python provides a better structure and support for large programs than shell scripting.